View Single Post
Old June 21, 2011, 04:21 AM   #37
rodfac

Here in Ky, I was run out of a stream that I'd been fishing by a Cottonmouth...very aggressive...held him off with the tip of my rod till I got to shore...I was wading, fishing for Smallmouth bass.

While I've rarely carried for that specific reason, I do pack a S&W 36 with snake loads while fishing in NC. The rocky gorges that I fish do have Copperheads, and I've killed two in the last ten years or so.

I'm a live and let live guy...the snakes are usually after mice etc. but one that's harboring where kids and other fishermen are tromping around is a menace and needs to be dealt with. The 'snake loads' that I put up use #12 shot over a full dose of Unique or Bullseye and will do the trick out to about ten feet max. I use one 'snake load' per cylinder full, and 125 gr +P's for the rest. Ten feet is plenty of standoff distance, and beats trying to find a good stick to do the job while keeping a wary eye on that bad guy.

JMHO, Rodfac
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Page generated in 0.03534 seconds with 8 queries