View Single Post
Old October 4, 2005, 10:45 PM   #13
rwilson452

Chrony and the wood dowel

I measured the metal rod and found it to be a metric dia. It's not a dowel size you will find with ease. I called Chrony and ask if I could ream out the hole big enough to take a 3/16 dowel. they said yes. Being very careful and keeping at the same angle I reamed out the hole using a twist drill bit. A 3/16 dowel is just slightly larger than the metal rods and stiff enough to maintain a sturdy screen. Made dowels the same length an then using a marker marked the "sweet spot" on the dowels. I used three rings. A broad ring at the top and bottom of the "sweet area" and a thin ring for the center of the area. Mostly I do rifle. I allow for scope height when lining up the rifle with the Chrony. It's rare that the Chrony fails to work properly. I tracked it down once to a bad sun angle. too much glare on the eyes. If you decide to do this be very very careful. you need ream to the exact same depth in as the original rod and no more and at the same angle. The use of a drill press is suggested unless you are good at free hand drilling. I did it free hand but I have had a lot of practice at that sort of thing.

Page generated in 0.03649 seconds with 8 queries