View Single Post
Old July 11, 2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Jimro

Quote:
BTW... JIM... where did you find the recommendation to over travel & bring back the adjustment ??? it makes sense from my little machining experience, I've just never seen the recommendation in print... ( of course the snipers never do that in the movies either )
I heard it from a friend....

A sniper I know had a Leupold Mark 4 M3 that wouldn't pass the box test to his standards, so he sent it back to Leupold for service. They tested it just fine, and sent it back. It failed the box test for him again, so he sent it back, with a scathing note. Once the service department got it, a phone call was made and the discussion on how to adjust the turrets for precision was discussed. The scope was sent back again (with no repairs) and it passed the box test with the prescribed technique.

Now the M3 turrets are 1min vertical, 1/2min horizontal, so any slop gets magnified a bit by having such coarse adjustments. I doubt that you would notice slop with 1/4 or 1/8 MOA clicks. If you had a real sharp rifle you might notice with 1/10 MIL adjustments (around 1/3 MOA) but that is still tighter than most rifles can shoot.

My personal scope is an IOR 2.5-10x42 with 1/10 MIL adjustments and the MP-8 mil line reticle. I find Mil Line is easier to use than mil dot, but I've no problem seconding Kraigwy's recommendation of the Weaver 3-10x40 tactical, it is a fine scope, I think made by Light Optic Works of Japan with the same components as Bushnell's Elite 3200 line.

Jimro

Page generated in 0.03492 seconds with 8 queries