View Single Post
Old February 28, 2000, 07:52 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most of my expertise was acquired under govt fiat, so the fancy stuff from high priced schools is not all known to me.

Coupla things, tho...

First, Load one, fire one. While not always possible,keeping the mag topped off is a good idea because the extra weight aids recoil control.

Second, the proper method(andthis is quite simple,but bear with me)of reloading is to grab the round with the index and middle fingers of the firing hand parallel,and the thumb pushing the base. One can then stuff the shell into the weapon w/o many drops or blunders.

Third, A loading scenario. It's getting quite lethal in your immediate vicinity and you've shot your 870 dry and need at least one mo' round PDQ. When ejecting that last spent case, leave the action open, and throw another round in through the ejection port. Nothing fancy, just make sure the brass end goes towards the butt.Slam the action shut and pick your target.Repeat as necessary, until you can find cover and reload fully.

In combat, switching loads is fraught with peril. Any action is difficult to perform, and adds to the risk. IF YOU MUST, try this.

Eject the round in the chamber and retain it. Turn the weapon on its side and shake out the round on the carrier. Throw in the replacement round and go for it.

Page generated in 0.02437 seconds with 8 queries