View Single Post
Old August 27, 2002, 10:33 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Okay, so the E Muffs shut off the microphone at 85 db. So what is the actual NRR (noise reduction rating) on the muffs. If it is below 25, I would suggest wearing plugs with them. If you are shooting indoors, wear plugs with them as well.

The microphones simply give you a way to better hear outside noise that is not dangerous to your ears while you wear the muffs. That is well and good, but the critical part is by how much the muffs reduce noise. The microphones are for convenience. The noise reduction is for hearing safety and that is why you wear the muffs in the first place.

I wear Peltor Comtacs and ear plugs. I turn up the volume to be able to hear normal sounds a little better and to compensate for the ear plugs worn under the muffs. The advantage of this double system is that I always have on the plugs, even when I remove the muffs. They prevent me from accidently experiencing loud noises with unprotected ears. Combined with the muffs, the doubled protection helps protect against noise leakage that may occur when the plugs are not completely seated properly or if the muffs are not flush against my head. Things like hair and the arms of one's glasses keep the muffs from seating and sealing completely against one's head, so they rarely work to their full potential, hence the need for plugs.

Page generated in 0.02578 seconds with 8 queries