View Single Post
Old May 11, 2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

It is a gas piston pushing a round bolt carrier in an upper receiver with no frame rails - the carrier is going to tilt and that is just a fact of life. The wear you are seeing is a result of that tilt.

The only question is whether that is unusual wear or wear that signals an impending function problem. It doesn't look like that to me; but I am not very familiar with the Ruger SR556. A normal DI AR has a lip that extends from the lower edge of the buffer tube and holds the buffer retaining pin in place. I don't recall off the top of my head if it has that tiny ledge in it or not as that question doesn't come up with DI ARs; but I'll take a look when I get a chance.

Is this a plinker that you can afford to shoot and watch for awhile or is this your home defense rifle or a rifle you use for work? If it is the former, I would just keep shooting it, keep a good round count on it and continue to document the wear with pictures. If it turns out the wear is normal, you've got some valuable information to share with other shooters. If it breaks, I am sure Ruger will fix it under warranty.

If you don't have the luxury of experimenting like this because you depend on the rifle, then I'd send the pictures to Ruger and see what they say.

Page generated in 0.02680 seconds with 8 queries