View Single Post
Old July 16, 2000, 12:28 AM   #1
Correia

I promised a review of this holster a while ago so here goes:

I've had my permit and have been carrying every day for the last three weeks. My current job requires me to move around a lot and do all sorts of different kinds of lifting and bending. I was set on carrying a full size gun. I thought about an inside the waistband but I was worried that my shirt would ride up over it and panic all of the liberals. I thought about a tuckable but the belt clips would still be visible and I didn't want people to try and figure out what they where. I'm also pretty much limited to t-shirts at work, there aren't many options for covering garments.

I got Gunslinger's bellyband after he said on here that he carried an N frame smith in his and nobody could tell. I figured what the heck I'd give it a shot.

The band is wider and apparently stouter than the other belly bands that I've seen. It is also very adjustable. It has a pocket that holds the gun and a pocket for a spare mag. There is no retention strap or tension screw, the gun is held in place by the fabric pulling it against your body.

Gunslinger told me that most folks wear theirs like a shoulder holster with their gun under their armpit. I tried this but it didn't work for me because I'm kind of barrel chested, and the grip of my gun stuck out to much.

So I tried it on my strong side hip inside the waistband. With the holster placed like this over my underwear and undershirt, I could tuck my shirt in, blouse it out a little, and tighten my belt up to help keep the gun against my body and it just disappeared.

I've been wearing it like this for the last three weeks, and it has worked great. As long as I use a long enough shirt it stays tucked in. I've been carrying a fullsize 1911, & a spare 10 rd magazine and nobody has noticed it, even though I have to do a lot of bending and moving.

The holster doesn't seem to get to much hotter than just wearing a big belt. In fact my gut tends to go over the front of the band pushing it out of the way. I do sweat a lot (hey I'm a big guy), and the gun does get sweaty in this position on hot days.

I was a little worried at first about my Springfield staying put with just the tension of the fabric and my belt holding it in. But there has been no problems. In fact I was at a church function tonight, and there was a game of not-to-serious sand vollyball going on. I got challenged to come and play, so I figured I would give it a try, and it never printed. (note I didn't do any full length face dives either, I'm not that athletic ) At one point though I had the heck scared out of me when somebody off to the side said "Look, he has a gun." I thought "oh crap, my shirt must have came untucked!" But actually it was just some lady joking around with a little kid using a stick and going bang bang.

I'm 6'4" 270, so I can probably hide a Government model better than most, but this rig works really well for the amount of light clothing that I can wear.

So all in all I really like this setup. It may not be as secure as a leather or kydex holster, and you can't reholster with one hand, but it conceals better than anything that I've ever seen.

Well thats my first attempt at a product review.

------------------
Ordering deadline for TFL shirts & hats is July 29, don't miss out. www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37865

Page generated in 0.04033 seconds with 8 queries