View Single Post
Old January 1, 2013, 08:15 PM   #35
bedbugbilly

+1 to what Bob Wright said/says.

i do leather work as a hobby and make holsters/gunbelts, etc.

Personally, I make my holsters for myself for CCW for carrying on the belt. I carry between 3 and 4 o'clock on my right side (strong side) and I make the holster so that it is canted forward - I make the belt loop so that it is tight on the belt (I wear a 1 1/2" belt) and there is no movement in the holster when the pistol is drawn. Normally, I carry a Ruger LCR and in that position, it is very comfortable for me - both when I am upright and when sitting such as in a car, etc. I'm 60 and like many, have some aches and pains - canted forward, it's a more natural "sweep" to draw and not have to worry about drawing straight up.

Personally, I don't feel there is a "right or wrong" way as far as holster position - it's what works best for the individual. I've made holsters for some friends who carry as well - one of the guys prefers to wear a "cross draw" on the belt (he's right handed) so the holster is canted in the opposite direction. I made one for a fellow who rides motorcycles quite a bit - he's right handed and likes to wear his carry piece (snobby) on the belt but in the middle of his back, usually under a jacket or shirt with the tail out. I made a left hand holster for him with a reverse cant to it so he can just reach back with his right hand and it's an easier raw for him instead of having to pull it straight up. Again, it all depends on how you carry and what works best for you.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03191 seconds with 8 queries