View Single Post
Old February 14, 2013, 10:59 AM   #12
dgludwig

Quote:
I also know that a 30-30 can be fired in a 32 Win Spl.
You know, I heard/read that too; years ago. That, "in a pinch", the 30-30 cartridge could be fired in a rifle chambered for the .32 Special but not vice-versa. I've done a cursory search of my research material concerning this "rumor" but I've never come across the source of it. I certainly wouldn't recommend anybody trying it unless and until they knew better.

Quote:
The .358 Winchester, if I recall correctly, is based on the .308 cartridge, necked up to hold a .35 caliber bullet, much like the .35 Whelen is a necked-up .30-06.

As long as the extractor holds the cartridge to the bolt face it would ignite, but the .308 bullet wouldn't find much purchase in that .357 bore. The brass would come out formed for the .358 and accuracy would be horrible. I don't think that the rifle would be damaged, but I don't believe that it's a good idea. I can't see the utility.
I think this is the best summation presented and it's sort of what I thought might be the case. No, it's not a good idea but, at point-blank range, in an "emergency" situation (see "wolf at the door" scenario where one has a rifle chambered in .358 but only .308 cartridges on hand), it might be of some "utility" if safety isn't an issue.

Anyhow, I only posed the question to satisfy a curiosity. Question answered as best as it can be I suppose, and I appreciate the thoughts and ideas of all the kind responders.

Page generated in 0.04071 seconds with 8 queries