View Single Post
Old January 5, 2013, 11:02 AM   #58
MLeake

From the article linked by pnac:

Quote:
Legis. Aron Wieder (D-Spring Valley) called the publication of the list "irresponsible journalism" and said he now fears for his safety because the map broadcast that he does not have a gun license. At the news conference Friday morning, he handed a $150 certified check and a completed pistol permit application to Rockland County Clerk Paul Piperato.
"I never owned a gun but now I have no choice," Wieder said. "I have been exposed as someone that has no gun. And I'll do anything, anything to protect my family."
I kind of enjoyed that one, as well as the complaints by the prison guards, sheriffs, and PBA.

Nothing against the COs or LEOs, and in fact I do not support publishing their personal info, but it did provide irony in the sense that I don't think the paper had thought it through, at all. So I don't enjoy the CO/LEO predicament, but do enjoy the consternation this must be causing newspapers nationwide that had not considered this aspect of such lists.

I did not enjoy this lady's predicament, but this should have been forseeable; we predicted this exact scenario in our previous TFL commentary:

Quote:
Orangetown resident Charlotte Swift, 55, handed out lists of the newspaper's employees linked to the article, with their home addresses and phone numbers, as well as local politicians who can have an influence on the bill in Albany.
Swift said she has owned a gun for more than 20 years and her name is on the published list.
"When I saw the list, I had an immediate flood of emotions that I cannot even describe to you," said Swift. "I originally obtained a gun permit because I had previously been married to a man who attempted to strangle me . . . The first emotion I felt was, 'Oh my gosh, he can find me.'"
She also feared burglars might break into her own home and those of her neighbors who do not have guns.
"It clearly had no journalistic purpose," Swift said of the database. "In my mind, I felt intimidated, I felt threatened by them . . . and regardless of what The Journal News intended, what was their purpose in publishing it? It really didn't give any information to people that help them in their everyday lives."

Last edited by MLeake; January 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM.

Page generated in 0.03114 seconds with 8 queries