View Single Post
Old August 21, 2005, 08:57 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

Solid steel came into use around 1900, but even after that many buyers preferred twist (Damascus) barrels because of the beauty of the better ones.

I have read all of the above, and some writings from folks who think the Damascus or laminated barrels are safe. Some have cited century old tests to "prove" that twist barrels are stronger than solid steel. But I have sectioned old Damascus barrels and found chamber and barrel walls like honeycombs, rotted out from black powder residue and corrosive priming. Even barrels that look good when viewed from the end can have microscopic holes and occlusions that will spell trouble eventually. I know all about British proof, and all about how this or that maker's products were perfect, and how some test or other in 1890 or 1900 or 1910 showed that Damascus was stronger than solid steel. Nonetheless, I still strongly recommend that NO Damascus, twist, or laminated barrel be fired with ANY load of ANY type of powder.

I said essentially the same thing to a customer some years ago, and he informed me that his old gun had been proofed and was very strong. His father had used it, his grandfather had used it, etc., and he stuck to "low base" loads. He came back in a couple of days later, with a bandage where parts of three fingers were missing off his left hand. The right barrel of the old gun let go right at the end of the forearm. He had the courage to admit that he had been wrong, something not many folks do. That was one of the guns whose barrels I later sectioned; they were rusted out shells.

Jim

Page generated in 0.03190 seconds with 8 queries