View Single Post
Old December 31, 2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Sevens

The last big panic was 2008. First to fall to the panic was AR's and magazines for them. Then ammo was gone. Then the stripped AR lowers moved out quickly. Then all of the most popular handguns sold out.

After all the most mainstream stuff went scarce, handloading stuff was next. Presses and kits and primers. Component bullets. Brass and powder never really took the hit.

All of the manufacturers of -ALL- of these productions from top to bottom added extra employees and the ones who could added production shifts. Some of the manufacturers added equipment and production facilities as they could.

For ammo and bullet makers, only the MOST popular stuff got made. 9mm, .40cal and .45 slugs in handguns and .224" and .308" in rifles. If you were looking for .41 Mag bullets or .323" rifle slugs, whatever HAD been in stock was all that existed in the USA. No more of that stuff was scheduled for production for 12-16 months. Facilities running 24/7 in some cases, all of them making -THE- most popular stuff.

Since that panic, shooting has become more popular and more mainstream. In late 2012, more people own & shoot guns than in '08. And all the manufacturers have been running at high output for a long time, not simply reacting NOW. In my estimation, this one will be worse than in '08.

Your idea to combat this problem with handloading is a fine idea, executed too late.

Page generated in 0.03438 seconds with 8 queries