View Single Post
Old August 19, 2001, 11:41 PM   #9
Seeker

Yep.

Gerber 3.5 inch LST, Ka-Bar and most anything in between - lately mostly pointy sticks. I get best results with 1 and a half revs and have never had a problem with sharp knives slicing my hand, too much. Large knives really sink home. The little ones you see in a set on three for < 10 bucks work OK too, but as mentioned earlier can really bounce back at you - Same rule as darts applies, if it dosn't stick and you catch it before it hits the ground you can throw it again.

The way I was taught: extend throwing hand, flat, fingers together, so that index finger is highest. Lay the blade diagnally across palm so that hte handle extends at about 45 degrees between index finger and thumb, trapping the blade lightly with thumb. Bend elbow back towards shoulder, them rapidly extend arm so that your index finger points at your target and let the knife slide out. Keep your wrist straight! Snapping your wrist will cause over rotation.

When learning to throw my LST I discovered that about 8 inches of leather boot lace through the hole in the butt of the handle, so that both ends hang loose helps prevent over rotation.

I started putting the leather through the hole in the butt end of the handle back before "clip -ons" became an option so that I could carry the knife in the back pocket of my levi's ( or into the top of lace up boots) with just the ends of the leather hanging out - the knife was concealed but I didn't have to dig for it when I needed it.

I played with blades long before I ever fired a gun, and have been carrying one, constantly, since third grade (often in violation of school rules). Uh oh! I just did the math, I have been carrying a knife daily for the last 27 years! Now I feel old.....

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh

Page generated in 0.03551 seconds with 8 queries