View Single Post
Old December 9, 2006, 11:08 PM   #9
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K
It would be nice to have real life data available to decide from instead of gelatin and numbers. Everyone always comes up with contrary info to counter someone elses contrary info. Its an endless argument with nothing solved. I think how well the rounds work in the field is more important, and thats the info I want to see.
AK,

The problem with real life number is that there are many variables as well. Where did the bullet strike? How many shots was the "victim" hit by? What type of ammo was used? Was the "victim" high on drugs? Was the victim obese or very athletic? My point is that even a .22lr can make a one stop shot provided it is a good head shot and a .500 S&W to the leg may not stop the fight (although I'm sure it would hurt like hell!).

Don't discount the value of ballistic gelatin testing since it provides a replicatable control. There are some indisputable facts based on physics when it comes to bullets and ballistics. The formula energy = mass x (velocity squared) is often quoted in these arguements. The problem is you have to look at how that energy is deposited into the target. A shot that simply passes through a target is not depositing its energy into the target. A well designed hollowpoint that expands rapidly and retains its weight will deposit much more of its energy into the target. With ballistic gelatin, you can analyze how different bullets performed in an ideal setting. All things equal, rounds that perform well in ballistic gelatin should perform well against humans provided that the shot placement is the same for all rounds compared.

Page generated in 0.02340 seconds with 8 queries