View Single Post
Old July 16, 2014, 09:25 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Many things irritate me, but then I am considered irritable by many.

Besides the common usage of 3-4 letter groups for any and every word/phrase longer then 5 letters these days (and many here do it constantly as well) one more thing that bugs me is the apparently indiscriminate and inconsistent use of mixing of terms, usually with no explantion.

Such as, ok, "k"=1000 (latin? kilo - metric system) Fine. In print one often sees "$23K" as 23,000 dollars.

SO why are "millions" the letter "m"?

"M" is the Roman Numeral for 1000. NOT 1,000,000,000. So why does every celebrity and sports star that gets big bucks get a "$6M" contract? The press knows they mean millions, but writes M (Roman for 1000) Where has consistency and basic intelligence gone? Its certainly not living in our daily headlines....

pressure measures in psi (psig -pounds per square inch, gauge) I get. I even get Kg/cm2 (kilogram per square centimeter) Converting between the two systems gives me a headache, but I do understand it.

Now (and I say now, only because I am just discovering it) we are blending the terminology of the two systems? Kilopounds? Really?

Where does it end? Are we someday going to be given velocity readings in Meters per Fortnight? (M/F?) Density in grams/hogshead?

Maybe its just me, but I am much more comfortable seeing 23k psi than 2.3ksi

Page generated in 0.02385 seconds with 8 queries