Thread: I suck.
View Single Post
Old December 9, 2005, 09:36 AM   #5
Long Path

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you're not excited about your sport, than why are you doing it? My mailbox this morning was stuffed with adds for pork tenderloin for $1.68/lb (going to buy some), and sirloin roast for $2.59/lb. Unless you live on a ranch and can shoot off your back porch, it's generally more cost effective to just "hunt" the loss-leaders at your local food stores to fill your freezers with cleaned, deboned, packaged meat.

Even though I do hunt on the cheap, there's no way that I generally justify my hunting as cheap meat. I hunt for the joy of hunting. I love the charge during the stalk and the kill shot. While there are other reasons to hunt (conservation, healthful reasons, traffic safety in some areas), the main one is the thrill of the hunt-- returning to our predator roots.

Man is a predator, just as a big cat is. Ever watched the body language of a cat (even a housecat) on the stalk? Pure concentration. That cat is completely engaged in what he's doing. Ever seen video of wolves or coyotes packing up to hunt? They are utterly jubilant in the chase, and are completely involved. There's no distraction. When you're hunting, you share that with the animal predators. That's exciting.

Sometimes the excitement gets your heart and respiration rates going a bit.

Thank Gawd.

Page generated in 0.02783 seconds with 8 queries