Thread: Run and Gun?
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2001, 01:27 AM   #15
Glamdring

Double Naught Spy: Avoiding a problem works well. Simply running doesn't work well unless you can catch them flat footed. It only adds distance if they don't follow you. If they pursue it is far easier for them to attack you than it is for you to attack them or defend, since they are behind you. It is also of little value if you have children or others to protect or if your not in superior physical condition to the Goblin.

I would suggest something like a modified Tueller Drill to test some aspects of running as a defense technique. Have "good guy" wear normal casual or work attire and have Goblins attemp to mug them with a dummy knife. And see how often someone with a drawn weapon at conversational distance can stop you from running away. How does a woman in heels out run someone in Nikes?

The problem I have with running away from a Goblin is that you will usually have to turn around or some such to have clear line of flight [assuming nothing behind you]. Unless you have the skills to run thru or around them. So you decide you will run in a direction you can't see until you comitt to running. What happens if there is something or someone blocking your path to run? Say another Goblin?

If your the target of a well planned ambush your line of retreat will be blocked or covered. Now a lot of goblins won't be that skilled, but I try to plan for an opponent at least as skilled as myself when I consider or suggest defense techniques. And as Spetre mentions the correct response to a near ambush is to assault thru the kill zone. Because in a close ambush, which is where most real world problems for civilians occur IMHO, the Goblins are so close that you can't get behind true cover or out of range fast enough to avoid being hit multiple times.

I agree that Goblins will still often surprise people despite Color Code/situational awareness. What I was saying was the main benifit of the color code system is that it allows a shorter OODA loop. You have a streamlined If A then B set of responses to work with.

Page generated in 0.02589 seconds with 8 queries