View Single Post
Old March 9, 2007, 06:39 PM   #29
Varmitzapper

Since you are loading for a bolt gun.
I've always tried to find out where the rifling starts, then seat the bullet
.010" deeper in the case.

Try loading a dummy round "no primer or powder" ink up the bullet, "Sharpie"
works great. Seat the bullet way long, Measure the OAL, then chamber the round. Gently try closing the bolt. if it closes it need to be longer. Not sure if you can get there with a 40gr bullet.

Rule of thumb is 1 1/2 times the bullet diameter, is what you should be holding on to the bullet with, "case to bullet contact". If the bolt dosen't close adjust the die's seating plug about 1/4 turn deeper, re-seat the bullet.
Measure again. then try to close the bolt.
Just keep repeating this until the bolt closes. Write down the OAL with that profile bullet, as it will be different with each style, brand, and weight bullet.

Take dummy round #2, Adjust the seater plug up about 1/4 turn. Try seating the bullet .010" taller than the OAL dim. from step one. Re-ink, then chamber it and see if you can see where the rifling lands touch the ogive on the bullet. Now you fine tune the seater plug down 1/8 turn or less at a time.
You are looking for the bullet to be Approx .010" tenthousands of an inch from touching the lands. I've been doing this with my reloads since the early80's
Good luck, go slow, be safe.

Page generated in 0.03428 seconds with 8 queries