View Single Post
Old June 13, 2012, 11:05 AM   #30
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Sutton
The issue really ought to be regarding the airlines accepting for shipment what will immediately become contraband at the destination. That is something that ought to be ended at the airline level.
That's all well and good but expecting the airlines, and their employees, to be familiar with the firearms laws of all 50 states (plus territories), and disseminate that information to passengers, is, in my opinion, unrealistic; not to mention the liability issues involved when imparting information that can have legal consequences. For example, I can legally fly with my handgun to State X. At check-in, should it be the airlines' duty to warn me that two of the 5 magazines I have in the case are illegal to transport into State X? Or that a particular type of ammunition I have packed in the case is illegal to possess at my destination?

I think it is the responsibility of the passenger to determine whether his firearms and accessories are legal to possess at his destination and not that of the airline or another third party. These are putatively adults that we are talking about and adults should be held accountable for their actions.

Page generated in 0.02178 seconds with 8 queries