Thread: Glasses
View Single Post
Old June 10, 2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Eghad

Glasses

I just went through this same process. In 2003 before we deployed overseas I qualified expert on the popup ranges at Ft. Hood, TX before we deployed. Early 2005 changes to my eyes start creeping in. I unlike most older folks have to take my glasses off to read. So my lenses have a correction while on the bifocal part there is no correction.

In 2005 I take the Texas CHL course and do some practice and the sight picture is terrible. So I shot the course with safety glasses and qualified with a perfect score. the shots were shot from 3,7 and 15 yards. 3 and 7 yards were no problem, its a miracle I didnt drop any shots at 15 yards. At 25 yards forget about it.The problem is that If I am doing concealed carry I am going to be wearing my presription glasses so I would have to look up through the bifocals to assure accuracy. That is one of the reasons I havent done concealed carry because I didnt wont to endanger anyone due to vision problems.

I just went to the eye doc that does my VA exams.I had measured the distances from my eye to the front sight on the rifles I have. He had given me some contacts to try for monocular vision on my first visit. Just put one in the left eye and nothing in the right and viola instant handgun heaven. Then I try two of my rifles, a Uberti Winchester 1873 reproduction and a H&R 1871 Buffalo Hunter Classic. Forget about seeing the front sight. Time to do some research to come up with a solution.

I sure wish Mr. Thompson's article had been in lasts month issue, It would have saved me a great deal of time. However, He gets a hearty thank you for mentioning the glasses with the reverse bifocal. I would give you a hug if I could. If we ever happen to run into each other a brewski, adult beverage, or soft drink is on me. You have made me a happy man now.

If I had seen that article I would have been calling up C Sports today!

My wife and I have vison insurance. What I ended up doing was getting some nice Ray-Ban metal frames that resembles some of the shooting glasses on the market that I could use with a polycarbonate single vision lens with a prescription that is weaker . The insurance picked up $248.00 of the tab. So I can use them just for shooting.

C Sports has just been added to the list Mr. Thompson and thanks again.

Proof once again that SWAT has info the guy on the steet, police and military can use.

NRA Life Member
Eghad is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03872 seconds with 8 queries