View Single Post
Old February 24, 2014, 05:01 PM   #7
happymachinist

Quote:
Nice looking handgun. How do you like it in .40? Have you shot the 9mm version?
Thanks, I like it, my only complaint I have with it is it fails to chamber sometimes. I clean after every outing and rarely shoot more than 200 rnds. I haven't shot a 9mm Hi Power but would like to.

Quote:
Nope, milled steel does the same thing. It was/is common on .45 target pistols with high front sights, and I have replaced many. It is our old friend, Mr. Newton, hard at work again. The slide of a pistol gets into motion pretty quickly and stops just as rapidly. The tendency, old Isaac says, is for a body at rest (the sight) to remain at rest and a body in motion (the sight again) to remain in motion. So the sudden start and stop of the slide tend to break the sight if it is heavy enough to have significant momentum.

That didn't happen with the original 1911 or BHP sights that were small and light.
This makes perfect sense and is along the lines of my initial thoughts but I still thought I'd ask. I am by no means an engineer but have a decent understanding of certain types of physics. A larger heavier front sight would take more force to get moving or stop it, and would exert more force at the junction of the dovetail whether it be being put into motion or coming to its abrupt stop.

Quote:
Likewise, the dovetail front sight doesn't leave a whole lot of material where the sight joins with the dovetail, and there's a 90-degree corner on both sides, so that doesn't seem as strong as some other, less-popular mounting systems.
That's no joke. a small radius where the sight joins the dovetail would definitely be more robust but make the sight more costly to manufacture if it is milled from a solid piece.

Thanks for the insight.

Page generated in 0.03882 seconds with 8 queries