View Single Post
Old October 9, 2009, 11:02 PM   #12
ljaycox

133 Receptacles Receptacles Boxes.
PARTICULAR PACKING REQUIREMENTS OR EXCEPTIONS:
1. For UN 0043, 0212, 0225, 0268 and 0306 trays are not authorized as inner packagings Intermediate packagings are only required when trays are used as inner packagings
fibreboard
metal
plastics
wood
Trays, fitted with dividing
partitions
fibreboard
plastics
wood fibreboard
metal
plastics
wood steel (4A).
aluminium (4B).
wood, natural, ordinary (4C1).
wood, natural, sift proof walls (4C2).
plywood (4D).
reconstituted wood (4F).
fibreboard (4G).
plastics, solid (4H2).

This is the packing instruction for UN 0044, Primers, Cap Type, 1.4S.
The best way to package these is to use a combination package tested for liquids at the PG II performance level. Since steel intermediate containers are allowed, one could use a paint can package tested with liquids and enclose the primers in their chipboard box or use an auxilliary bag as the primary receptacle. DOT has said, in a letter of clarification, that solids may be shipped in combination packagings certified for liquids as long as the solids won't compromise the receptacle and the gross weight limitations of the package are respected. Just make certian you use cushion material around the primers in the cans. I woudl use something like anti-stat bubble--it is readily available.
Just google 4G paint can packaging and you have many to choose from in online catalogs.
I am not going to pimp mine here, that makes me feel sort of weird.
But remember--someone trained must be involved to mark (UN ID number: UN0044; Proper Shipping name: Primers, Cap Type), Label: 1.4S and the name and addrees of either the consignor or consignee (or both) the package and:
The shipping paper must be filled out correctly and if it the case, as stated elsewhere in this thread that these primers are: UN0044, Primers, cap type, 1.4S, , II, that will be your basic description on your shipping paper. There are many things about the shipping paper (dangerous goods declaration) that I cannot go into here.
Just follow the packaging manufacturer's closing instructions.
There may be a hazmat freight forwarder near you or I suppose many FFL's are trained since they ship this stuff routinely. This is a crappy system for the occasional shipper--we literally spend years figuring this all out before it becomes comfortable. I messed up a DHL shipping paper recently and was really embarrassed, but as packaging manufacturer, I actually don't offer much so it is a struggle to remember all the details.
I train for my company, I should put together a webinar for general awareness, and function specific training for shipping ammunition for the firearms community.
Don't forget that for UPS and Fed-Ex there will be quite a charge for a hazmat package--i think they are up to around $30 plus the actual freight fees.

Last edited by ljaycox; October 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: tired typist

Page generated in 0.02838 seconds with 8 queries