View Single Post
Old May 7, 2006, 08:37 PM   #9
308Enfield

I always have a couple of knives on me, a big Swiss Army knife for tools (I work in IT) and a little Hen & Rooster folder for everyday cutting chores. I have to agree with Bill that unless you really know what you're doing knives aren't a really good choice for SD. I've had some training on fighting with knives and defending against knife attacks when unarmed in martial arts, but I'm very much an amateur. Knife fighting is a demanding practice, and unless you dedicate lots of time to learning from a good instructor I think you'd be in for an unpleasant surprise in a real-life situation. I'm not questioning anybody's qualifications, if you really know how to use a knife than you've got a good second line of defense, but if you haven't been trained you should think twice about how safe you are.

Also, I can't speak for other areas but in Tennessee blades over 4" long are considered concealed weapons. Also, carrying a fixed blade can get you charged with, I think the phrase is "intent to go armed." For any of you who are carrying knives for SD, I'd recommend reading up on your state laws. I think its more than a little silly that I'm licensed to carry a pistol but can get arrested for carrying a Bowie knife, but that's the law and its important to know it and follow it.

Page generated in 0.03181 seconds with 8 queries