View Single Post
Old March 22, 2009, 10:01 PM   #16
NavyLT

This is from a rather dubious forum, but if you call the BATFE, I am sure you will get the same answer:
Quote:
I double checked and I'm right.
18 USC Section 922 defines it. I just got off the phone with the Acting Duty Agent/BATFE and verified it.
1. Muzzle-loader does not fall under the Gun Control Act of 1968 guidelines and is not considered a firearm. I asked him specifically "I am a felon. Can I own a muzzleloader?" And he replied yes. And muzzleloaders do not fall under National Firearms Act either.
2. A felon cannot possess ANY firearm. This includes inactive, deactiated and demilitarized firearms.
3. In essence if it does not accept and cannot accept cartridge ammunition it is not a firearm. Any muzzleloader than can be converted to accept cartridge ammunition are considered firearms. Typically because of the pressure differences muzzleloaders cannot accept cartridge ammunition because cartridge ammunition is a much higher pressure than blackpowder.
4. State laws may vary.
5. If you have any questions, feel free to call & ask- http://www.atf.treas.gov/contact/field.htm
This is interesting. In the state of Michigan, we had to throw all my sons plastic guns out. If a PO came in and found even a toy gun, including a water gun, he would go back to prison for 5 more years. It seems to me then that muzzleloaders would be included.

The question was asked "WHY TAKE THE RISK?" Most can't afford a high dollar attorney to fight a U.S. Code that doesn't even matter at the state level anyway.

Stacy
At the Federal level, muzzle loading firearms and black powder (<50lbs for sporting purposes) are no problem for a felon. He can walk into Bass Pro and buy one in a plastic wrapper off the shelf and purchase it at the regular cashier with his boots and hat.

Some states, however, will define the muzzleloader as a firearm and prohibit possession by a felon, so it depends upon state law.

Page generated in 0.03512 seconds with 8 queries