View Single Post
Old August 3, 2012, 09:32 PM   #8
feets

That Redhawk will probably take bigger loads than you car to put through it. Even being a heavy gun the recoil can border on abusive.
Typical Colt loads will feel like a 38 Special. Good solid Ruger only loads will begin bucking a bit. The heaviest Buffalo Bore and CorBon loads will kick hard enough to change your opinion about the 45 Colt. Luckily, those loads are so expensive you won't buy enough to cause permanent damage to your wrist.

When I was shopping for my SRH, I had brand new 45C RH and 454 SRH guns side by side. I wanted heavy Colt artillery and these two were the finalists. The triggers were much better than I'd been lead to believe. Both had nice single action pulls. They were nearly identical in feel. When it came to DA, both had heavier pulls but they still felt nice. The SRH double action pull was nicer by the slimmest of margins. My friend (a competitive handgunner) shared the same opinion.
The gun store ranger behind the counter was babbling incessantly about how to shoot handguns, the proper hold, trigger pull, etc. He was a complete Miculek sack rider, including the pic of the two of them standing together at a match. To prove the superiority of a SW trigger, he pulled out a used 38 competition gun (I haven't got a clue what model) and had us finger the trigger. Yeah, it was impressive but I would NOT want a trigger like that on a gun with any kind of recoil.
When it comes to a heavy caliber hand cannon you really don't want a super light trigger. That thing needs to send lead through the tube only when you're ready.

I put a light trigger spring in the SRH to lower the pull and I've set it off a little earlier than intended a few times. There's no way I'm going lighter.
Dropping one step in the hammer spring gave me light strikes on occasion so I reinstalled the stock spring and went lighter on the trigger.

Page generated in 0.03865 seconds with 8 queries