View Single Post
Old July 28, 2007, 06:31 AM   #18
stephen426

Quote:
As a "starting gun" for a novice, I'll go against the pack here and suggest you check out some other guns before finalizing on the Glock.

Glocks are good guns and I own a G17 myself. It's my opinion, however, that your first semi-auto pistol should have an external manual safety. You might want to check out the Sig, S&W, CZ and Beretta pistols before you commit. I recently held a Beretta 92FS and found it's handling quite nice.

The most important thing, however, is to get some competent instruction on the range. This will go a long way to building your confidence with any pistol you select.
Bill,

I'm going to have to disagree here and say that Glocks are fine for first timers. While they do not have manual safeties, unsafe handling of any gun will lead to unintentional discharges. For Sigs, all you have to do is pull the trigger (granted the DA pull is much heavier than Glock's Safe Action trigger).

I believe Glock's main advantage is its consistent trigger pull. Unlike many DA/SA guns, each pull of the trigger is the same. That is one of the main reasons I switched to carrying Glocks instead of my Sig. By starting with Glock, he will not have to "adjust" to the grip angle.

Glocks are great guns and I believe that you will love yours. The Glock 19 will do almost everything the 17 will while being much more concealable. Heck, you might want to buy the 17 for the range and buy a Glock 26 for carry.

Page generated in 0.02529 seconds with 8 queries