View Single Post
Old March 14, 2014, 06:45 PM   #13
JimDandy

Quote:
2. While it may be armchair quarterbacking, the father could have retreated him and his daughter from the bedroom, closed the door, called the police and waited it out. That would have given the daughter time to think and come clean. May not have had time or thought about this option.
And big time Monday Morning Quarterbacking at that. You'd leave a total stranger carrying who knows what free reign of a family member's bedroom behind a closed door so you can't observe his actions? Remember at this point Dad doesn't know the guy is unarmed himself. I wouldn't close the door on a guy who could be armed if I hadn't gotten the drop on him. Even if he wasn't armed, I wouldn't want to close the door, and have the police have to storm the room.

Deadly force was used. Given the overall tone of "There but for the Grace of God go I" we're using in discussion we're all thinking that with the facts we have it was pretty reasonable given what the Dad knew. If we're assuming that, we're also assuming Dad was in some level of fear of an imminent threat of serious bodily harm (or whatever the standard is where we/they live depending on how much we're projecting ourselves into the situation). At that level of reasonable fear, you don't close the door on the guy on the off chance he behaves.

Page generated in 0.02456 seconds with 8 queries