View Single Post
Old September 19, 2012, 09:30 AM   #17
Hunter Customs

Quote:

All that said, I respected the old gun so much that I searched for and found an add'l slide and barrel assemblies in 9mm and .38 Super. While they never perked with the precision of the original .45 barrel, they are useful for practice and most folks that see them, have a hint of lust in their eyes...I've been offered some impressive sums for the gun....NOT GUNNA HAPPEN!

As to reliability, all of them work well, with the .45 the best, nearly 100% if good ammunition is used. The 9mm and .38 Super slides are less than 100% but not by much as is the .22 lr.

It's my favorite gun, and of the 36 handguns in the safe at this point, it is the last that I would part with....try to pry my cold dead fingers off the grips and all that....

Switch barrels make sense...if you can't gunsmith it yourself, get some knowledgeable help. I did mine and have had no real problems. Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manuals have it all for Smiths, Colts, Rugers and the venerable Colt automatic. For Sig's or Glocks there's a wealth of info on the net...get in there and do it pard...you'll enjoy yourself and dazzle your shooting pals.

Best Regards, Rod BTW, here's the apple of my eye, complete with all its slide and barrel assemblies. R.

To Hunter Customs...can't say if my Commander has been milled or not, tho it doesn't look like it, and I bought it used from a friend. I did smooth the feed ramp with a dremel, and changed the ejector, ...but it was 15 years ago and as I haven't changed the ejector since...may be a 9mm or a .45, can't say. Other than that, and some minor fitting on the link as is normal, no changes were made. I will say that the 9mm and .38 Super have a dedicated recoil spring..don't ask me what strength...it's been in there of over a decade and a cpl thousand rounds. I do use Wilson's recoil buffer and have had no problems. Rod

Rod,

No your frame has not been milled for a full ramped barrel.

I will say the 45 feed ramp will be more forgiving then if the muti-caliber set-up is tried with a frame set-up for a smaller caliber.

That being said, reliability is the key word here, even by your own admission the two smaller caliber (9mm/38 Super) topends are not reliable.
However I would be willing to bet that if they were set-up correctly on frames with proper feed ramps they would be reliable.

Reliability is the reason why Colt and other manufactures use different feed ramps for different calibers.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; September 19, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.02498 seconds with 8 queries