View Single Post
Old May 12, 2005, 11:37 PM   #4
ClarkEMyers

I'd say there is no wrong way

I'd say there is no wrong way. I use Dewey rods myself but I've also used Parker Hale (some of the jags were really made for tow), Belding & Mull and lots of others. For pistols I'll use kits that I think may have been original Pachmayr in plain steel which I'm careful to wipe but for rifles I use Dewey coated almost exclusively - 2 rods one with brush one with jag and a Sinclair cradle with rod holders. (again wiping the rod is good - I hadn't noticed how much grit my stainless were picking up until I got some Parker Hale in bright yellow. The Dewey black masks the grit too.

Myself I think I get better results with some patches loose to sponge with solvent and some patches tight to scrub so I may wrap successive patches differently. Then too it depends on what I bought or cut up from rags or gasket punched from rags. I'd say some loose patches is good but at least some of the patches should be so wrapped as to be really tight fit - however that works out with your combination of jag and patch.

Page generated in 0.03503 seconds with 8 queries