View Single Post
Old June 25, 2008, 02:37 AM   #32
.300H&H

I'll use the example again of a 7mm Weatherby Mag.<lots of other good calibers ie. 308...but I like the 7mm Weatherby as an example because it's such a powerhouse...> The 7mm Weatherby will deliver a 160gr. partition bullet with 1700+lbs. of energy retained at a range of 500yds....with a bullet drop of only about 24inches. Despite that incredible performance, it's still going to be a difficult long range shot at 500yds.

Scope, Recoil, Windage, angle,Bullet Drop...travel time... Practice Practice Practice - and if you can hit the pie plate at 500yds every time in a variety of conditions...then I'd say...you might be ready to try it on big game. I think however you can be much more effective by just getting a lot closer...
Most folks I know seem quite impressed by long range shots of about 300yds. There's a fine line between a great long range shot - and a foolish one. The foolish long range shot will make you feel lower than a snake's belly. Few things sadder than a wounded innocent animal running away in helpless painful distress.

Page generated in 0.02613 seconds with 8 queries