View Single Post
Old July 31, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
dogfood

Shotgun barrel work ... threading, extended choke tube, etc.

I've got a Winchester Defender 1300 with a cylinder bore barrel. It throws huge patterns, even for a cylinder bore (not sure I can even call them "patterns"). For the action games I shoot ... particularly bowling pin ... I need some choke.

Now the barrel will need to be shortened to remove the extra hole (put in by me) for a rifle sight that was added years ago. Since the barrel is 22" as it stands, shortening it by roughly 2" will still keep us legal. Shortening the barrel, threading for tubes and adding a new bead is probably not that big of a job for a competent 'smith.

However, what I really want is a longer barrel ... which are not made for 8-shot 1300's. Therefore, I'm thinking extended choke tube - but even the extended tubes don't appear to extend more than about 2". Given that this barrel will need to be cut down to 20" (to remove the front sight hole), adding a conventional extended tube will only get me back to 22" overall. I'd really like to add another 2" - meaning a tube that extends a total of 4".

Anybody know where I can get one ... or someone who makes choke tubes in long lengths at a decent price ... or a gunsmith who could do the whole package? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
dogfood

Page generated in 0.02648 seconds with 8 queries