View Single Post
Old October 9, 2013, 10:32 PM   #17
oley55

home built tumbler

my home made tumbler made out of schedule 80 PVC pipe 8.25" x 21.5" powered by a 1/2 HP two speed Whirlpool/Kenmore washer motor easily handles 1,000 cases (223/44 mag) using 15# of pins. Regardless of how many cases I'm cleaning I use all the pins. More pins doesn't hurt and the drum is the best place to store them any way. Tumbling time is 3-4 hours.

With a full load of brass, 15# pins, and 3-4 gallons of water, the total weight must be about 50 pounds. No way the Thumler could handle that much weight.

For what ever reason the 1/2 tsp of Lemon Shine with the dish soap makes a big difference. without Lemon Shine dull brass, with it the brass is cleaner and shinier. The original powdered Lemon-Shine is available at most local grocery stores for 2 or 3 bucks. Way cheaper than the on-line sources.

drying process: after media separation/rinsing, I tumble the brass in the media separator for a bit to bounce the water out of the primer pockets, spread it out on an towel, and set out in the sun for an hour or so, or put a fan to it. Sun drying is faster. I do not have any problems with water spotting. I do however have a water softener for my Florida (sulfur) well water. (if that makes a difference).

I have about $200 invested in the rig with most of the cost going for the SS pins.

Page generated in 0.02396 seconds with 8 queries