Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old August 26, 2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Misssissippi Dave

I consider reloading a hobby. It just happens to go well with shooting. Hobbies tend to require money and this one does. How much money depends on several things. Many people get into reloading to save money on the cost of the ammo they shoot. I find I don't really save any money since I can shoot more for less. I still wind up spending about the same amount in ammo. I do get to shoot more than before reloading. The cost difference between factory ammo the amount I have spent on equipment has easily paid for itself. I don't feel I have any addition money in my pocket since it mostly has gone down range already.

Most people will tell you to start on a single stage press for everything. I know it takes more attention to detail to start on a progressive press since there are several things going on at once. It is possible to do one round at a time, so it still can be done. Pistol shooters and probably some that shoot .223/5.56 tend to go through a lot more ammo per range session than say long range bench shooters do. This is where a progressive press is an advantage. Starting with straight wall or tapered pistol cased ammo probably is easier to do than bottle neck cases.

I suggest using carbide dies when ever possible. They do cost more up front but the return is well worth it in the end. Making sure your brass is clean before reloading will keep your dies in good shape for years to come.

Reloading manuals are needed to understand better what you are doing when you reload. I don't think you can have too many of them.

My questions to the OP are what calibers do you want to load? How much ammo per month of each caliber do you normally go through? This much information really is needed to try to steer you in the right direction as far as equipment goes.

If you are still in the evaluation stage of reloading prior to jumping in I have a suggestion where you should possibly spend your money on quipment. Get a vibrating tumbler and media. Start collecting all your brass and any other brass for the calibers you plan to ever load now. Start cleaning and sorting the brass so when you do start loading you will have plenty on hand. Often times friends and family will be happy to give you their brass, if they don't reload, and that will save you some money. The rest can come later. It might be a little at a time or in one large purchase. Even if you think you have everything, you will find something later on you think you need as well.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; August 26, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.02524 seconds with 8 queries