View Single Post
Old February 9, 2014, 09:49 AM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjblajda
my friends father is definitely one of the few who knows what they are talking about. im not skeptical per se but if something seems off ill call someone out on it.
Respectfully, since you don't know anything about shooting other than what this man has taught you, you have no way of knowing if what he taught you is correct or totally off-the-wall. Most likely, unless he is a police academy firearms instructor, it's somewhere in between. Further, in order to obtain a carry permit in Florida, you will have to submit proof of having completed some kind of course that includes firearms safety training. You will need a certificate of completion -- you can't just put on your permit application "I went shooting with a buddy's father who is a cop."

The types of training that Florida accepts are listed on the state's web site, which you can access through the Florida page at www.handgunlaw.us .

As to what gun you should buy -- only you can answer that, and you can decide only by shooting as many different brands and types as you can get access to. Glocks are certainly popular and have a reputation for reliability, but some people think they aren't comfortable to shoot. Your other choice is also a solid pistol, but again it may not be comfortable to shoot. The SR40C has a VERY short grip, and the .40 S&W round is a bit "snappy" in recoil. My own opinion is that the .40 S&W is not an appropriate choice for a compact pistol, it's better suited for a full-size duty weapon.

I would suggest that, before you narrow your choice down to two pistols, you back up a few steps and follow a decision tree. First, decide if you want to start with a revolver or a semi-automatic. Then decide if you want a full-size pistol or a compact. Then decide what's an appropriate cartridge to chamber in whatever size pistol you have decided on. Only then do you know enough to start looking at and eliminating specific pistols.

Almost nobody has shot all the guns available, so any advice you receive is likely to be affected by what guns a responder actually knows. I tend to avoid giving such advice, because I prefer 1911s and I know they aren't the best choice for new shooters.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; February 9, 2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Typo repair

Page generated in 0.03870 seconds with 8 queries