View Single Post
Old November 12, 2008, 10:12 AM   #68
maxkimber

The reasons advocating an unloaded chamber you provided actually 'ate me up' over night and I have to voice my opinion - sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkimber
I am curious, what are the advantages of carrying an unloaded gun?
Your answer in its entirety:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong
It is not an unloaded gun. There is a magazine full of rounds loaded in it. Advantages will differ for different people in different situations. You mentioned one already--guns that are not equipped with some of the more modern safety designs.
I agree 100%. If you carry an older gun without internal safety devices, I do not advocate carrying a round in the chamber (although I would). This is the only quasi justification (IMHO) to not carry a round in the chamber.

"Advantages will differ for different people in different situations" I would like to read some??? As I believe the other reasons you list are not valid argument for or against carrying with a round in the chamber, allow me to explain...

Quote:
Another might be if your situation requires you to load/unload a lot.
This is not a valid argument. This is neither an advantage or disadvantage, as to properly clear a weapon you have to rack lock the slide to the rear and you should never pull the trigger. So, have a round in the chamber would be about the same as not having a round in the chamber - only difference you either have to catch the round from the chamber or pick it up. This a just plan laziness IMHO. Do you think police officers who frequent prisons don't put a round in the chamber because they just have to unload again when we get to the prison?

Quote:
Some guns the safety is hard to get too or to operate for some people.
This is not a valid argument. If I chose to carry a gun with an external safety, the safety would be off anyway. What is the difference between carrying a gun with no external safety and one with an external safety off - none. For instance, I carry a Beretta PX4 type-C (no external safeties), a friend of mine carries a Beretta PX4 type-F (external safety), but he carries it with the safety off. It is very close to the same gun, but some people like an external safety, no problem, but both should be carried with a round in the chamber. More importantly, why would you carry a gun wherein "the safety is hard to get too or to operate." For your safety/security and the safety of those around you, go to an experienced gun shop and get fitted for a gun that you can effectively manipulate. If you can't manipulate a 1911, don't carry it - shoot by all means, but don't CCW.

Quote:
Others might find the first DA pull of a DA/SA gun to be problematic.
This is not a valid argument. Don't carry a gun you find problematic. For your safety/security and the safety of those around you, go to an experienced gun shop and get fitted for a gun that you can effectively shoot. Or a very viable option, instead of having to rack a round try cocking the hammer. If you carry with a round in the chamber you can still fire, albeit problematic, and if you don't like firing DA, simply cock the hammer, if you have time.

Quote:
Again, it is always situational. What is an advantage for one person in one situation might be a disadvantage for another person or in another situation. But, as mentioned, in the overall scheme of life it really doesn't matter much.
This is not a valid argument. Yes, everything is situational. The problem is you do not know the situation in advance. You can't say: ok, today I will be attacked, but I will have time to rack my slide, so I will carry without a round in the chamber today. I would like to read a situation that a chambered round was a disadvantage???

Quote:
Either method works fine for virtually all non-LE situations.
This is not an argument. Either method works fine, if, if, if, you do not have to employ your weapon.

Page generated in 0.03372 seconds with 8 queries