View Single Post
Old April 8, 2014, 12:40 AM   #18
Tucker 1371

I think your concerns are valid. I heard a story in training about an officer with my department who trained in disarming a subject with a handgun. In training they practiced taking the gun away and then handing it to their partner for their turn. Unfortunately that became muscle memory and when he had to apply it in real life he performed a perfect disarm only to hand the weapon right back to the aggressor and get shot. Can't remember whether or not the officer survived but it just goes to show that muscle memory isn't a made up concept but a fact that can either work for you or against you.

As valuable as dry fire training is I most certainly wouldn't cut it out. The only way I can see to counteract this bad muscle memory you may be developing is to shoot live fire more often, or take a break from it while shooting live fire more and then go back to it. With time you should be able to work out the kinks.

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form a certified firearms instructor, my advice is speculative at best. This is just what works and makes sense for me, YMMV.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Page generated in 0.03310 seconds with 8 queries