View Single Post
Old February 2, 2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Mr. Whimsy

Savage BTH - or Boyd's Stock?

I have been wanting a .260 Rem. Savage 16. I really like thumbhole stocks, so I was planning on putting a Boyd's featherweight thumbhole stock on same.

I have 0 experience fitting a stock to a rifle, and I have no gunsmith, so there is the inconvenience factor of ordering from Boyd's. Further... will I have to glass bed it? Yet another loathsome task I wouldn't mind avoiding.

The easy thing would be to get a Savage 11/111 BTH, which comes from the factory with a laminated thumbhole stock. It only comes in blued and the closest chambering to what I want is .25-06 cal. I could live with this... although it would be slightly more convenient for reloading were it in .260 - and a little more attractive were it stainless.

Either way, I am likely going to have to lop off an inch or so off the butt, as both look really, really long. Haven't found any locally to handle, so can't say if it will be necessary.

The third option is to call Savage's Custom Shop and ask them to put together what I want. I will do this Monday, although I expect to discover a wait time that will curtail my enthusiasm. It may also run into more money than I really want to put into the project.

So, of the first 2 less expensive options, which would you take?

Any owners of the BTH care to chime in?

Page generated in 0.03489 seconds with 8 queries