View Single Post
Old December 30, 2012, 08:32 AM   #65
ROCK6

My argument has been that there is a lot of discussion regarding the “freedom of the press” in the First Amendment; many in the media world believe the founders established that with the understanding it encompassed technological innovation. The printing press was a pretty technological advancement at the time, yet the media believes that innovation carriers forward and includes broadcast, cable, satellite, internet/blogs and other social media venues.

How can you then discount the founders didn’t write the Second Amendment with the same purpose of including innovative technology over the years? If you can’t accept the “high-capacity, semi-automatic” rifles of today, then that argument would invalidate all other media sources outside of speech and physically printed newspapers, books and articles. The best weapon against the anti-gun morons is debate established in fact…I agree most will still discount the facts, but there are many out there who only get the anti-gun side of the story; not the real truth.

Additionally, I think the 18th Amendment is a prime example of what would happen to America if they repealed the 2nd Amendment. Owners, manufacturers and dealers would become instant criminals; organized crime would strengthen and gun violence would sky-rocket…that’s exactly what happened after the enactment of the 18th Amendment and then the need for subsequent repeal from the 21st Amendment. Alcohol wasn’t even protected and look what happened; what do you think would happened if firearms were banned in a similar manner? It would lead to a massive revolution.

The anti-gun liberals love to use “sporting and hunting” to support their “common-sense” restrictions. There is no language that has ever referred the Second Amendment as the protection of hunting or sports shooting. That argument is blown out by our Declaration of Independence which makes hunting and sports-shooting inalienable rights: the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

The true purpose of the 2nd Amendment was ratified by the same language in several of the state constitutions established at roughly the same time and with more specific language. Regardless, it’s pretty evident that the “right to bear arms” was specifically for:

• deterring tyrannical government
• repelling invasion;
• suppressing insurrection;
• facilitating a natural right of self-defense;
• participating in law enforcement;
• enabling the people to organize a militia system.

For anybody with a modicum of education and understanding of our Bill of Rights, Constitution and Declaration of Independence should have the mental capacity to understand the purpose and importance of the Second Amendment. Those that can’t understand that should be mentally screened and found too unstable to purchase or own any firearms. If applying equally, these would be the same individuals who see the First Amendment as protection against inciting riots/violence, falsely yelling “fire” in a theater or other crowded room or making death threats against the President.

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater."
-- Peter Venetoklis

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
-- George Washington

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."
-- Constitutional scholar Joseph Story, 1840

"The bearing of arms is the essential medium through which the individual asserts both his social power and his participation in politics as a responsible moral being..."
-- J.G.A. Pocock, describing the beliefs of the founders of the U.S.

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks."
-- Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
-- John F. Kennedy

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.
-- "Political Disquisitions", a British republican tract of 1774-1775

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

The danger (where there is any) from armed citizens, is only to the *government*, not to *society*; and as long as they have nothing to revenge in the government (which they cannot have while it is in their own hands) there are many advantages in their being accustomed to the use of arms, and no possible disadvantage.
-- Joel Barlow, "Advice to the Privileged Orders", 1792-93

Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."
-- Edward Abbey, "Abbey's Road", 1979

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
-- James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people"
-- Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good"
-- George Washington

What was the argument again?

ROCK6

Page generated in 0.02838 seconds with 8 queries