View Single Post
Old June 2, 2013, 12:57 AM   #15
2ndtimer

I suggest you pick up a copy of Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Manual. It has a nice collection of data for .38 Spec. and .38 Spec. +P for most jacketed hollow points and a number of cast bullets. I particularly like their +P data for the 110 gr JHP bullets. Many years ago I had a Ruger Speed Six chambered for .38 Special, which for all practical purposes was a rugged .357 Magnum revolver with a cylinder chambered for .38 Special. It handled .38 Special +P loads effortlessly. I did push the envelope a bit with the 110 gr JHP bullets and HS-6 powder and was able to push the 110 gr bullet over 1200 fps out of the 2 3/4 inch barrel. I wish I would have kept that revolver, it was nice. I still have a few of those old handloads and have no qualms about shooting them in my SP101 .357 Mag. They were only about 3% over the maximum +P loads listed in the Lyman manual. But everyone needs to use caution and start low and work up slow. Each gun is different and not all primers or powders are exactly the same either.

Page generated in 0.02858 seconds with 8 queries