View Single Post
Old July 5, 2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

According to my meager understanding of law enforcement databases, CCLs are not tied to the license plate (tags), but are tied to your driver's license. If the police run someone's tags, the CCL shouldn't show up. When they run his DL, on the other hand, it will.

OP, get the CCL. If you get stopped for a traffic violation, hand it over, whether you're carrying or not. As someone already pointed out, don't surprise the officer on the side of the road at 2 a.m. Go here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and familiarize yourself with laws in the pertinent jurisdictions. If you're in compliance with the laws of the state in which you are present, and have a CCL, you ought to be OK. If you're not in compliance, the CCL isn't going to save you. Your possession of a CCL, on the other hand, will at least tell the officer that you've passed the requirements for it, such as a background check.

Unfortunately, OP, it sounds like what you're really itching to do is to carry without the benefit of the CCL. That's a bad idea, and may well put you in violations of the law, even where a CCL from your home state would have been recognized.

Get the permit.

Edited to add: Welcome to The Firing Line!

Page generated in 0.04149 seconds with 8 queries