View Single Post
Old July 16, 2013, 10:45 AM   #29
Bill Akins

Perhaps the answer is simply that a small amount of air space either only behind the powder itself, or over the powder and behind the projectile, or even BETWEEN the powder and the projectile, is not critical because the expanding gases quickly fills that small air space BEFORE any dangerous overpressure could occur. If so, that doesn't explain why we have always been admonished by the firearm scientists and manuals that we MUST fully seat the projectile against the powder charge in our smoke poles.

Unless they knew this and were just preaching to the lowest common sense denominator (and for liability purposes too) so that someone wouldn't foolishly load their ball only halfway down the barrel to where it WOULD become a problem since the gases had largely expanded and reached high pressure by the time they hit the projectile and thus it would act as an obstruction. Could it be that simple? If so, then the firearm scientists and firearm manuals have actually been preaching wrong to us just to make sure someone doesn't foolishly load their ball halfway down the barrel. Could that be it? Could it be that simple?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Page generated in 0.03755 seconds with 8 queries