View Single Post
Old September 20, 2010, 11:26 PM   #12
arcticap

I think that consistent velocity does lead to better performance and accuracy.
That's because just like with all good ammo, in order for consistent accuracy one must find the most consistent load that shoots the most accurately.

How does one know if a good group is a fluke?
To obtain repeated velocity measurements of the same loading and then measure groups with that load over and over again.

So I think that accuracy is the result of consistent velocity in conjunction with the right size ball, barrel twist rate and loading methods etc...

The velocity isn't meant to be measured in a vacuum, but is an important tool in a person's "accuracy arsenal".

I think that match target shooters would have more to gain by studying their chrony data.
It's also a way to test powder performance from lot to lot.

And in that way more consistency and scientific method can be introduced into the shooting sports.

I just like to sling lead downrange myself, but that doesn't mean that we all can't appreciate the knowledge about how the science of ballistics applies to everyday shooting.
If chrony knowledge promotes a better understanding about how our guns perform, then that's a positive benefit and not a negative one.
Even if the chrony data was only relative and not absolute, then it would still provide for comparative analysis.
Chrony programming and results are better than nothing and are actually meaningful to each and every individual gun tested and not just the writer's sample of a published article.
We live in the space age, people demand performance from their guns and all of the products that they spend their hard earned money on.
If an expensive mold didn't throw a good round ball then how are we suppose to easily measure it without some modern electronic calipers for instance?
Or if we want our percussion caps to fit the nipples of our new guns, don't we want to be able to measure the nipples and don't we expect the manufacturers to provide caps and powders that live up to certain manufacturing standards?
How consistent does Diamondback powder shoot?
I guess that what I'm getting at is that scientific instruments are affordable enough for everyone to be able to obtain some benefits from them, and not just the companies and the book publishers that can afford them.
It's a new electronic world, and manufacturers are able to build to more precise tolerances and standards then ever before. And how the average shooter can test performance of their products is by using instruments like a chrony and then analyzing the data.
How else would we know if Goex was consistent or if 777 powder was 15% faster or not?
Is Swiss powder worth the money?
Does each and every chamber of a new revolver produce the same velocity and accuracy?
A chrony can help to answer some of these questions and many more for those so inclined to investigate.

Last edited by arcticap; September 21, 2010 at 12:20 AM.

Page generated in 0.02391 seconds with 8 queries