View Single Post
Old September 23, 2009, 05:19 AM   #1
patriotguns

A. Uberti 1873 .44 Black Powder with a .45 ACP cylinder OK to shoot?

I picked up a used but 95% looking 1873 Uberti last weekend. It says CAL .44 BLACK POWDER ONLY on the barrel. It came with a .45 ACP cylinder. The seller said he has shot it only with the ACP cylinder in it. I believe him as the .44 BP cylinder looks new and unfired. I was a little hesitant about the purchase taking his word and all regarding the safety of shooting a cartridge round such as .45 ACP in a gun marked black powder only. I have wanted a SAA style gun chambered in ACP for some time now. I took it out to shoot it and it was more accurate than I expected it to be but the firing pin is oval shaped and off center to accommodate the 44 cylinder so the primer didn't get hit hard enough on the first strike ever. The second strike however fired them all. I am looking for feed back from someone with experience with this set up before I continue with it. I am considering modifying the firing pin to a little more of a point so as to ignite the ACP primmer reliably.

P.S.
I have an 1873 Cattleman in 45LC too and the ACP cylinder will not fit into it. I know it would need to be fitted and timed. I really don't plan to ever shoot 44 BP in the Quickdraw (BP 44 gun); only ACP if it is safe to do so.

Thank you,
patriotguns

Page generated in 0.02621 seconds with 8 queries