View Single Post
Old November 25, 2011, 10:27 PM   #1
vmiguard

My father's S&W 22LR revolver

I was wondering if someone could help me with a firearm identification problem:

I inherited a Smith and Wesson 22 Long Rifle CTG. It is a 6-shot double action revolver with a 6 inch barrel. It is a black metal gun with wooden handles with a diamond cutout in the center (around a screw). The rear sight is adjustable.

On the base of the handle there is what I believe to be a serial number: K 325XXX

When I open the cylinder there is a "Y", "3", "3", and another character which looks like a "9" inside a circle stamped from top to bottom. They are definitely vertical, but they are not lined up. On the swing out arm itself is stamped what appears to be the number "53518" or "S3518" and the letters "DG". Based on comments to jbwalther in: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322815, I am assuming the gun was manufactured before 1957 (possibly 1955). Because it was suggested that guns of that age needed specific descriptions or photos, I have attached a photo of the gun (below).

There is a narrow rib, which is grooved, on the top of the gun which runs the length of the barrel. This grooved pattern is continued on both the back and front of the metal portion of the grip. The blade which comprises the front sight is squared off at the rear of the blade.The logo is on the right side of the frame and is about the size of a nickel (at least including the banners with the words "Trade" and "Mark" at the top and the bottom of the logo circle. There is a screw just below the rear sight as well as on the front of the trigger guard. The cylinder is 1 5/8 in length.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW22LRCTG.jpg (265.4 KB, 89 views)

Page generated in 0.02231 seconds with 9 queries