Thread: ouch...recoil
View Single Post
Old November 22, 2013, 09:24 AM   #12
buckhorn_cortez

I haven't had shoulder surgery, but I have to be very careful with recoil as I take blood thinners and the doctors want me at the higher end of the INR readings because I have a mechanical heart valve.

They do not want me shooting heavy recoiling guns because of the possibility of causing a brain hemorrhage, so I have to be extremely careful with what I shoot.

I have several different shotguns - pump, auto, and an over/under. The auto is an FN SLP that I have sent to SRM Performance for installation of their SureCycle system. That helped with improving the cycling time (made it faster) with the side benefit that it reduced the felt recoil by about 15%. I also installed a Kick Eez recoil pad. It is a very soft shooting gun - even with something like buckshot.

However, the Beretta O/U with the Beretta KickOff system using B&P Shotgun Shells
is, by far, the softest recoiling shotgun I use. I would equate the recoil to about a .243 rifle.

The B&P shells help because they use the "Gordon System" wads that progressively collapse to help lengthen the recoil impulse time - making felt recoil less as it is extended over a slightly longer time. The shells can be purchased from Cabelas at a reduced price from that on the B&P website.

If you want the absolutely lowest recoiling shotgun, I would look at either a Winchester SX3, Beretta A400, or Browning Maxus semi-automatic. The Beretta with the KickOff system will be the lowest recoiling of the three - but stock fit is far more important as you can have a Gracoil (or other) recoil system installed on any of the other shotguns.

The stock dimensions comb drop, etc. are going to make it fit better and that really helps in reducing felt recoil - so your gun choice should be based upon fit - not manufacturer's name. If you choose a gun other than the Beretta with the KickOff, I would have a recoil system installed.

I would then send the gun to SRM Performance and have them install a SureCycle system for a bit more recoil reduction. Lastly I would shoot the B&P shells as, believe it or not, they really do help soften the recoil by a small amount.

If you do all of those things - you'll have an extremely low recoil shotgun that you should be able to shoot easily and without pain or fear of re-injury.

Page generated in 0.02574 seconds with 8 queries