View Single Post
Old August 31, 2013, 06:49 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Reservations are classed as a sovereign nations. It is not public land!!
That is what I thought, but when I looked it up it appears that isn't the reality. The Federal government owns the land, not the tribe. It is a US territory. Like a military base, the tribe has control. The set-up is very similar to military bases. Although I live near Wright-Patt and it is "publicly owned", that doesn't mean I can just walk onto the property either. It is "reserved" for Air Force use and the Air Force governs it for the most part. I give up a couple of my rights when I go onto the base. For instance my car can be searched at any time. Federal Law enforcement seems to have jurisdiction on reservations, although in most case there is "inter-agency cooperation."

The "Indian reservations" seem to be no more sovereign in practice than the various states.

On guns, in one episode they did seize a firearm in relation to a crime, and although not extremely clear on the issue the officer seemed to indicate no matter the outcome of the prosecution they were keeping the firearm.

They also taze at will. I am not sure they have the 5 second tazer like most police either.

Page generated in 0.02321 seconds with 8 queries