View Single Post
Old February 14, 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
My local FFL is also a UPS shipping center and he uses UPS ground for all my handgun transfers. Usually runs about $8.50.
While it's NOT against the law to do what your FFL is doing (i.e., using GROUND rather than AIR), it supposedly should NOT BE ALLOWED by uPS. Their tariff, the UPS rules which governs what can be shipped and how, says that's a NO-NO. (If a handgun ever gets lost, he may have difficulty getting his insurance claim paid.)

Their tariff, which is available on their website, says the following -- and I added the underlining:
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
An FFL can also use US Postal Service Priority Mail, and that is often cheaper than UPS ground, and sometimes just as quick. It can be insured. Getting a quick response to a claim from UPS, FedEx or the USPS can be a trying experience... and seldom quick.

I wish the rest of us could "game the system" like he's doing (i.e., using ground rather than AIR services). We individuals have to go to a HUB and have to pay the full freight. The desk clerks at the hubs I've worked with don't even acknowledge the existence of the Next Day Saver service.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 14, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.02966 seconds with 8 queries