View Single Post
Old September 4, 2012, 03:08 PM   #38
L_Killkenny

I in no way will ever claim to be a sniper, I didn't sleep at holiday inn express last night either. But for field work, most shooters are way over scoped. Too big an objective lens, too much magnification, too many bells and whistles like adjustable objectives. IMO, The same reasons that make these monster scopes bad for a hunter of game make them bad for a hunter of man. You do not need and in most parts want them. Some (most) of the issues have been discussed. Mirage, parallax, weight, bulk, field of view, etc etc all play a part. No one thing can be accredited to the why's and how come's. But rest assured that when you see someone on the net recommending a scope any bigger than 4-16x he isn't a big game hunter. Even that's on the big side and un-needed. My favorite is 2-7x but I also use 3-9x, 4x and 1.5-4x. And each of those is more scope than my ability will allow me to take advantage of. If you feel the need to spend money on magnification and bells and whistles instead spend that money on quality. Still not necessarily needed (super duper quality that is) but at least it's not unwanted, un-needed BS.

Page generated in 0.05011 seconds with 8 queries