Thread: when to pull?
View Single Post
Old April 29, 2012, 11:40 AM   #32
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by totaldla: I have to have a clear line in my mind when I would use lethal force. The gun never comes out unless that line has been crossed.
Good. In the vast majority of jurisdictions, that is the threshold.

Quote:
I can always choose to not shoot while I'm putting the front sight in place - but only because the situation has changed.
I do not believe that that differs from what MLeake articulated, which was that the mindset "I will shoot if I draw" can lead to serious consequences.

Quote:
"Shoot to stop" is the politically correct way of dealing with the media.
Rather, it is the lawful objective of the shooter, civilian or LEO; that the other person may die at the scene or some time later is irrelevant to the defense of justification, but shooting after the threat has been stopped is not justified.

You should not be "dealing with the media" at any time after an encounter involving the use of force.

Quote:
I must adopt the mindset that if I shoot, the other guy is gonna die - no exceptions because that is what a handgun does.
There are all kinds of exceptions. Handgun wounds are most often not fatal.

Quote:
Presenting a firearm doesn't magically scare away folks, but it does escalate the situation. I've worked with bad guys and very few are scared by looking down the barrel. But waving a gun around is a great way to get yourself killed
Again, you are in agreement with MLeake: "The danger is in assuming that the warning will be all that is needed, or in drawing without being willing and ready to actually employ the weapon should that become necessary."

Quote:
- and the other guy is justified in doing it.
Only if your presentation had been unlawful in the first place.

Quote:
I'm not in the Cop business. Ever. Period. I don't arrest people. My gun is on my hip to save my life in a situation I can't otherwise get out of.
Words to live by.

Page generated in 0.02838 seconds with 8 queries