View Single Post
Old September 21, 2006, 09:01 AM   #15
olivehead

the frontstrap and backstrap checkering is simply not as nice as that on, say, a kimber TLE, etc. but it's good enough for a positive grip and i have yet to cut my hand after 300 rounds. the fit and finish on mine was quite good, the finish good enough (akin to a lower grade kimber custom II black finish), the trigger the smoothest of the 5 or 6 1911s i've shot (including SA and kimber). mine is more accurate than i am, and for $500 i'm very happy with the gun. so far the aftermarket parts i've tried have dropped in (e.g. full lenght stainless guide rod from wilson's and SA stainless barrel bushing), with the exception of a wilson's stainless barrel bushing that would have required a little fitting. the hard plastic grips were not my cup of tea, and taurus should have gotten a contract with hogue to make them under license. i've put hogue checkered rubber on mine w/o modification, although some material could be taken out of the right panel to better accomodate the extended ambi safety. all aftermarket mags i've tried in it (act-mag/novak and CMC shooting star and power mags) have worked flawlessly. the only thing about this gun i'd caution is probably not to buy one sight unseen at this time, as 3 other samples i've handled were in one way or another not on a par with mine (e.g. looser slide/frame fit, loose safety, general finish). but if you get a good one, it's very good.

Page generated in 0.02621 seconds with 8 queries